For people who are interested in stargazing and learning about celestial bodies, owning a telescope becomes a necessity. Telescopes help to redefine and capture deep-sky objects making the job of eager astronomers a tad easier.
However, to observe tiny details and far-away bodies, a powerful telescope must be used. There are plenty of telescopes in the market, which helps to view bright and large objects, but only a few that are designed to enable the stargazers to view crisp images of celestial bodies outside of the solar system.
Here is a list of the most powerful telescope you can buy to make stargazing easier and better
Explore Scientific Ultra Light Dobsonian Telescope
This telescope is one of the most powerful light-gathering telescopes that is portable and does not require an observatory mounting. It is ideal for watching the moon as it offers crisp images of the surfaces. It also produces a great view of objects that are far from the solar system by reducing bright clusters.
The Explore Scientific Ultra Light 20 Inch Dobsonian Telescope is manufactured by the company ‘Explore Scientific,’ and it costs up to $8,600.
The key features of the Explore Scientific Ultra Light 20 Inch Dobsonian Telescope are as follows:
- The optical design for this telescope is a Truss-Dobsonian.
- The aperture of the main mirror is 20″ with a focal ratio of f/3.6 and a focal length of 1800mm.
- The secondary mirror is quite large, measuring up to 120mm.
- Both the mirrors are made of excellent quality material-quartz, which helps in the cooling process.The telescope also comes with a finder, which has a reticle that illuminates and a focuser having a gear reduction of 1:10.
2. Meade LX600-ACF 16″ f/8 with StarLock
This telescope is possibly the most expensive in this list but also the most powerful. The Meade LX600 is a telescope preferred by professional astronomers as it provides hugely detailed sharp images of deep-sky objects and celestial bodies. The star feature of this telescope is the ‘Starlock,’ which acts as an auto-guiding system that enables the viewer to have simple stargazing.
The Meade LX600 telescope is manufactured by the company “Meade”; it uses a Schmidt – Cassegrain optical design, and the cost sums up to $30,000, which makes it very expensive.
The key features of the Meade LX600 telescope are:
- The Starlock feature is what makes this telescope very powerful. With this feature serving as an automatic-guiding system, the viewers can enjoy deep-sky objects as it has Auto Star II GOTO system, the precision of one arc-second, and focuser.
- It uses the optical design of Schmidt-Cassegrain.
- It has a diagonal prism of 1.25″, eyepiece and a viewfinder.
- The focal ratio of the telescope is f/8, and the focal length is 3251mm.
- The telescope also comes with UHTC (Ultra-High Transmission Coatings), which enables the telescope to produce bright images.
3. Meade 14″ LX850-ACF
This is yet another fantastic telescope by Meade. It has a focal length of 2840mm. This telescope is created for amateur astronomers. The image results of the telescope are sharp and clear. The Meade 14″ LX850 has an optical system with coma-free technology that creates sharp-looking star images.
Just like the Meade LX 600, this telescope also has a UHTC feature for producing high contrast images of celestial bodies.
The Meade LX850 is manufactured by the company ‘Meade, and the optical design for this telescope is ACF Cassegrain. The total cost of this telescope comes around $10,000.
- The optical system has an Advanced Coma-Free mirror. What this does is it creates an image with no coma and of a professional look.
- There is an Ultra High Transmission Coating feature that is an absolute must for producing crisp and bright images.
- The focal ratio of this telescope is f/8, and the focal length is 2840 mm.
- The aperture of the primary mirror is about 356 mm.
- The telescope uses an ACF Cassegrain optical Design.
4. Takahashi TOA-150B
This telescope is a favorite amongst astrophotographers. It is known for producing high-quality images. With this optical instrument, the chances of obtaining beautiful pictures of stars and planets with a film camera or DSLR become easier. This telescope also enables the image to be clear without any violet glows. Another great thing about this telescope is its adjuster that helps to angle the camera in any direction to have a better photograph.
The Takahashi TOA-150B is manufactured by the company “Takahashi,” and the cost of it is around $13,000.
The key features of the Takahashi TOA-150B are:
- The adjuster helps turns the camera 360 degrees. This feature helps the astrophotographers to take a better-framed picture.
- The optical surfaces are anti-reflective as they are multi-coated with anti-reflection coatings in the optical tube.
- The optical design for this telescope is a refractor.
- It has a focal ratio of f/7.3 and a focal length of 1100 mm.
- The aperture of the main mirror is 150mm.
- The telescope has a focuser of 4.
5. Vixen Optics 25092DS SXP
This is another telescope that is specifically designed for astrophotography. The Vixen Optics 25092DS SXP is a powerful telescope that provides crisp, clear, and bright images. One of its distinct quality is the handheld controller that enables stargazers and avid astronomers to control the refractor and have a fantastic view.
The Optics 25092DS SXP is manufactured by the company “Vixen,” and the cost estimates up to $6,700.
The key features of the Vixen Optics 25092DS SXP are as follows:
- This refractor has an HD LCD screen that helps to navigate and guide the viewers in creating a clear, crisp image.
- The SD lens in High Definition and it enhances the optical performance.
- The SD glass also helps to create images that are free from Chromatic aberration.
- The scope has a Sphinx SXP mount that makes tracking stars and planets very accurate and smooth.
- The refractor also comes with dual speed focuser, half pillar, 125mm tube rings, and Dovetail plate.
- The aperture of the mirror is 4.5″ with a focal ratio of f/7.7 and a focal length of 890mm.
- It has an ED Apochromatic Refractor Optical design.
6. Orion Truss Tube Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
The Orion Truss Tube Ritchey-Chretien telescope is brilliant for capturing beautiful pictures of celestial bodies and objects far away from the solar system. It is a well-engineered telescope, uses hyperbolic mirrors to procure flat images, and has zero shifts. The images are also comma-free, as there are no lenses involved. The telescope has optics that are covered with a carbon fiber truss tube that is thermally stable and provides support. It also has a Crayford focuser, which allows 360-degree rotation for better framing of the image.
The Orion Truss Tube Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph is produced by the company ‘Orion,’ and it uses the optical design – Ritchey-Chretien Reflector and costs up to $4,300.
The Key Features of the Orion Truss Tube Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph are as follows:
- The Orion Truss Tube has hyperbolic mirrors (primary and secondary) to help procure flat images.
- The telescope has optics that are covered with a carbon fiber truss tube that is thermally stable and provides support.
- It also has a Crayford focuser, which allows 360-degree rotation for better framing of the image.
- The aperture of the mirror is 304 mm and has a focal ratio f/8 and a focal length of 2432 mm.
- It also has two sizes of compression ring for accessorizing the collars, which comes with the package.
7. APM LZOS Super ED
This telescope is specifically designed for observing double stars and planets. It has an excellent focuser that produces images with zero image shift and also has smooth rotation. Both sides of the tube rings of this telescope are flat and carry three tapped holes aligned straightly with the tube line. The telescope is light and portable.
This high-end telescope is manufactured by APM and has an optical design of the Triplet Super ED Apochromatic Refractor. The telescope costs up to $5,800.
The key features of the LZOS Telescope are as follows:
- The focuser of this telescope is 3.5″, and it has an attachment of anodized knobs that makes rotating the telescope easier.
- The telescope has amazing imaging results
- The focal ratio of the telescope is f/9.2, and its focal length is 1200mm.
- The telescope is lightweight and weighs about 35 lbs (16 kgs).
- The optical design of the telescope is an apochromatic refractor, which creates a crisp ad sharp quality of the image.
- The aperture of the main mirror is 5.1″.
8. Celestron EdgeHD Optical Tube Assembly
This telescope is not for the faint-hearted. It is created with the optical design of Schmidt-Cassegrain, which guarantees high-quality images. It helps produces images that are free from aberration across DSLR cameras. This telescope is incredibly powerful with a focal ratio of f/11 and helps in obscuring focal plane flatter when compared to other competitors. This telescope features the optical coating system that enables light to transmit and reflect better. While being rather powerful, this telescope is compact and light.
The EdgeHD 14 inch is a telescope manufactured by the company “Celestron,” and the cost of the telescope is about $6000.
The key features of the Celestron EdgeHD 14 inch are as follows:
- This telescope uses an optical design of Schmidt-Cassegrain.
- It uses an optical coating system called the Star Bright XLT that maximizes reflection and transmission of light.
- The telescope comes with a CGE-Pro mount.
- The focal ratio of this telescope is impressive and has a ratio of f/11.
- The aperture of the main mirror is 14″, and the focal length is 3910mm.
- The scope produces excellent quality images for astrophotography.
9. Meade 14-Inch LX200-ACF
Meade always provides excellent quality telescopes, and the Meade LX200-ACF is no doubt another great product. This telescope is built well and suited for astronomers who like viewing the stars as it produces star images that are free from a coma. It comes ACF optics, Mirror lock, smart mount, and GPS. The Ritchey-Chretien optical design enables the telescope to remove diffraction spikes. Like other Meade telescopes, this one also has a UHTC coating that is specifically meant for producing a high contrast and bright pictures.
The LX200-ACF is priced at $8500 and is produced by “Meade” using Ritchey-Chretien design.
The key features of the Meade LX200-ACF are as follows:
- The major feature would be its optical design. It uses the Ritchey-Chretien design.
- The telescope has an ACF optics, which means Advanced Coma-Free that guarantees a coma-free star image.
- The UHTC coatings is another fantastic feature in this telescope that helps create bright and clear images.
- It also offers a library of around 145,000 space objects due to its AutoStar II system.
- The telescope comes with a tripod, Diagonal prism, and eyepiece.
- It also includes features like the GPS, Mirror lock, smart mount, and smart drive.
10. Lunt Solar Systems H-Alpha
This telescope is specifically designed for viewing the sun. It detects light with wavelengths. It is a high-quality telescope that performs well even with large magnifications. The image quality of this telescope is terrific as it produces high contrast, sharp and crisp images.
The Lunt Solar systems H-Alpha is priced at $8,500 and uses the Single Interference HD optical design.
The key features of the Lunt Solar Systems H-Alpha are as follows:
- The telescope has a focal ratio of f/6 and a focal length of 900mm.
- The aperture of the main mirror is 152mm.
- The telescope has a blocking filter of 12mm.
- There are upgrades available for this telescope.
- The telescope is lightweight and weighs about 31 Lbs (14 kg).
Powerful telescopes are mostly preferred by astronomers who like to observe planetary objects, stars, and deep-sky objects that are far away from the solar system. The list of powerful telescopes listed above are definitely amongst the best in the market and does a fantastic job of helping stargazers to observe stars in excellent quality.